Having your hair colored regularly means frequent visits to your hairstylist. And as much as I love seeing my clients, I know it’s a concern that they prefer to keep their color as vibrant and beautiful as the day I do it for them.
So here are a few ways to keep color in your hair longer:
- Using a shampoo and conditioner that contains color-protecting ingredients that are tailored to your shade helps maintain the color you love.
- Try washing your hair every other day instead of every day; even less if your hair doesn’t get greasy. Use dry shampoo to get rid of any dirt and oil at the roots in between washes. When you do wash, use lukewarm or cool water, which will feel good on your scalp, too.
- Smooth on a deep conditioner often (I recommend Lanza’s Trauma Treatment) to keep hair looking soft and healthy. Since the chemicals in hair color leave hair porous and have a drying effect, be especially attentive after you dye your mane.
- Try an easy to apply gloss to boost both shine and brightness a couple of times a month and get some extra mileage out of your color between appointments.
- Use a protective spray on your colored locks to protect them from ultraviolet rays that can penetrate the cuticle of the hair, as this oxidizes or can even bleach the color.
- Wet your hair and apply conditioner before going swimming, since the chemicals in pool water can change your blonde to a grass colored hue. Better yet – wear a swim cap!
You should be thinking a lot about keeping your color longer, especially with summer coming. You’ll be busy with vacations and making sure the kids are entertained and won’t want to have to get your color touched up. Call me for those color-keeping appointments, though, and you’ll be radiant again in no time!