You may love your wavy hair, but not the frizzy fly-aways you get when you brush those curls.
Hair is made up of three layers and thousands of cells. But the reason you get frizzy hair is because your hair’s outer layer, the cuticle, looks kind of like a shingled roof. When hair is smooth, those shingles lie flat. But when you run a brush through dry, curly hair, those “shingles” lift, turning naturally wavy hair into what I like to call “fat hair.” To make the problem worse, frizzy hair is often drier and naturally tends to absorb moisture from the air, making it frizzier than ever when the weather is humid.
Here are a few tips and product choices to conquer frizzy hair:
- Don’t brush dry hair. Brushing dry hair not only disrupts your hair’s cuticle, it can also stretch hair, making it break. Also, after shampooing, make sure that you condition and either use a large-tooth comb, pick, or better yet, your fingers. Start from the bottom of your hair and work your way up to detangle.
- Don’t put wet hair up in a towel. This splits and twists the hair when it’s at its most vulnerable. Take an extra minute and allow the towel to draw the water out of the hair using gentle pressure.
- The right products are crucial. Depending on the texture of your hair, I will recommend a shampoo and conditioner for your specific hair type and usually, a leave in conditioner or serum, too. Sometimes you may even need a straightening balm (regardless if you blow dry smooth or let air dry).
- Regular deep conditioning treatments. Always beneficial, whether you do them at home or in the salon. Sometimes it’s best to have the first one at the salon and then I can recommend how to do your follow up, at-home treatments.
- Proper styling tools. A good brush, good dryer, and proper flat irons and curling irons shouldn’t be underestimated. I can recommend the right ones for you and your hair. You can easily turn a frizzy mess into sleek, beautiful hair with the right styling tools.
There’s no need to freak out if you have frizzy hair. Call to schedule an appointment and I can have your tresses looking sleek in no time.
Want More? Subscribe for Free Monthly Tips: